It’s always up to chance
Understanding the finer points of games of chance will likely let you enjoy a positive gambling experience.
For many players, online games are more attractive than games located in gambling establishments. They are accessible at any time… and they are anonymous. That is why it is easy to lose control when playing online.
- Remember that it’s easier to lose track of time and contact with reality when you gamble online.
- To minimize these risks, learn strategies on setting limits.
- Unlike many illegal gambling sites, lotoquebec.com has put safeguards in place for players, such as:
- Responsible gambling measures
- Spending limits
- Self-exclusion programs
- Age restrictions
These safeguards aren’t guaranteed on illegal gambling sites, so please exercise caution.
To learn more, consult Online gambling [PDF].
Slot machines and video lottery terminals
With these types of games, you win or you lose. You never almost win. Remain vigilant, as these games have characteristics associated with a higher risk of developing gambling problems.
In Québec, nearly one in five adult video lottery players (16,4%) shows signs of problem gambling.
- These machines’ interactive games enable players to choose their game or the paylines on which they place bets. Players may sense a feeling of control.
- Machine games are fast-paced and tend to entice people to bet more in less time.
- These machines often display a series of spins where players appear to be only one symbol away from a win, therefore leading them to falsely believe that they almost won.
For more information on machines, consult Gambling machines [PDF].
Also discover a day in the life of a slot machine, a fun and easy way to understand how slot machines produce random outcomes.
Understanding how video lottery terminals work
Understanding how slot machines work
Poker is one of the most popular card games in the world. It differs with other card games in that it involves elements of skill. Players can increase their knowledge of the game, develop strategies, and learn how to bluff.
Even when bluffing, you cannot control the substantial amount of chance involved in this game.
To learn more, consult Poker [PDF].
Chance is ever-present at blackjack, also called twenty-one. Blackjack is a very popular card game in which each player goes up against the House and not against other players.
- Players can win in the short term, but in the long term they lose more money than they win. That’s called the House advantage.
- The House advantage and the player advantage are calculated on the long term, and it always favours the House.
To learn more, consult Blackjack [PDF].
Bingo+ is a new bingo offering that can be played on a tablet, with paper bingo cards, or both at the same time, during the same gaming session and for the same draw.
When you play bingo+, just like lotteries or slot machines, you cannot improve your odds of winning by analyzing previous results, choosing your game cards, or using a lucky charm or particular strategy.
To learn more, consult Bingo+ [PDF].
A number of publications are available to help you better understand games of chance and to promote low-risk gambling habits.
The following publications are available for download, or you may order copies by calling 514-282-8000 or 1-866-277-6660 (toll free).